We’ve all been there. We’re craving ice cream, or fro yo, but are too lazy to go out and buy one, and ordering just one won’t meet the Seamless delivery minimum. You could make one, but do you really want to exert the effort? Well, if the craving is strong enough, you just have to suck it up and do it. But fear not! I’ve scoured the web to find some of the easiest DIY vegan sundaes that are delicious and won’t take (too) long to prepare.
- No-Churn Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream from The Minimalist Baker.
- 2 14-ounce cans coconut cream, or full- fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- 14-16 ounces pitted dates (if not sticky and moist, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Place a large mixing bowl in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add moist, pitted dates to a food processor and process until small bits remain. Then add hot water a little at a time until it forms a thick paste. Set aside.
- Without tipping the cans, scoop out the coconut cream from the cans of coconut cream or coconut milk, reserving the clear liquid for other uses. Place in chilled mixing bowl.
- NOTE: If you’re using coconut milk, you’ll likely use less sweetener because there’s less volume.
- Using a mixer, whip until creamy and smooth. Then add cocoa powder, vanilla, almond milk, and half of the date paste. Whip until fully incorporated.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined freezer-safe container and cover loosely with plastic wrap, then foil to help freeze.
- You can take this out in a couple of hours for a chilled mousse-like ice cream. Freeze overnight for a firmer ice cream.
Now you may be asking yourself, how is this a sundae? Well, that’s where your creativity comes in! Add whatever vegan-friendly toppings you like, such as coconut shavings, fruit, vegan sprinkles (yes, there is such a thing), nuts etc. And the best part of this recipe? It only takes 30 minutes to prepare! Even Seamless takes longer than that.
- Grilled Banana Sundaes with Chocolate Hazelnut Sauce from Alex at Delish Knowledge.
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup crushed hazelnuts, plus more for topping
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 firm but ripe bananas
- Whipped coconut cream, for topping
- Sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat. Wet a paper towel with oil and rub over the grates with tongs so bananas won’t stick. Alternatively, you can use a piece of aluminum foil on top of the grill.
- Place the chocolate and coconut milk in a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat. Cook, whisking consistently, until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and whisk in the crushed hazelnuts. Remove from heat. Whisk in ⅓ cup crushed hazelnuts. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Halve 4 firm ripe bananas lengthwise, then halve crosswise to form 4 pieces each. Gently toss the bananas with the sugar. Place on a grill or grill pan, flat side down, and grill until browned and caramelized, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Top with coconut cream, sprinkles and crushed hazelnuts.
Gluten free and vegan, this one only takes 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook!
- Coconut Almond Ice Cream Sundae from Vanessa Croessmann at Vegan Family Recipes.
- 1/2 cup Almond Butter
- 1 14ounce can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 3 tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
- 8-15 raw Almonds
- 2 tablespoons shaved unsweetened Coconut
- 4 tablespoons vegan Chocolate chips (melted)
- Blend together all ice cream ingredients until smooth.
- Place in a stainless steel bowl. Place in a freezer and using a spoon, scrape sides and mix every 30 – 45 minutes. Continue to do this until mixture arrives at an ice cream consistency (about 3-4 hours).
- Scoop ice cream into a bowl, top with almonds, shaved coconut and melted chocolate chips.
I know, I know, you have to wait 3-4 hours to enjoy?! But, while you wait, you can catch up on your favorite Netflix shows! After all, there is a lot leaving in August, so now is the time to binge watch.
- If these sundaes still seem like just a bit too much effort, we can always count on our good friends Ben & Jerry to offer fun and tasty vegan sundae-in-a-carton options for us! You can find these vegan treasures in your grocery store:
- Caramel Almond Brittle
- Cherry Garcia®
- Coconut Seven Layer Bar
- Chocolate Fudge Brownie
- Chunky Monkey®
- Coffee Caramel Fudge
- B & Cookies
Well, I think I know what I’ll be doing this weekend. Hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable Sundae too!