We just love summertime…farmers markets, fresh produce, no-cook meals… it’s just the perfect time of year to take advantage of nature’s bounty! The difference between fresh, farm-grown tomatoes and store bought ones is like night and day. So when you are making a simple dish like this, that is all about flavor, get the best, freshest, farm-grown ingredients you can find. You may pay a little extra, but the taste will be out of this world!
Makes 12 small servings
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- ½ cup oloroso sherry
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 1¼ tsp kosher salt
- 3 lb ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1cup rustic whole-wheat bread, cut into ½” cubes
- 6-8 small, multicolored cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Edible flowers, micro-greens or fresh herbs for decoration
Combine the first 8 ingredients in a food processor or blender (work in two batches if necessary). Process until tomato mixture is well blended. Pour the mixture through a medium strainer into a large pot or pitcher. Chill at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place bread cubes on a sheet pan and cook for 7 minutes or until they are crisp and golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes.
To assemble, ladle about ½ cup of the gazpacho into glass serving bowls of glasses. Top with bread cubes, cherry tomato pieces and decorate with edible flowers, micro-greens or fresh herbs.