As you finish up (or, if you’re like me, start) your holiday shopping, don’t forget the most important name on the list, which is, naturally, that of your pet. Your pet is your child after all, and would you forget to get a gift for your child? I think not.
If you’re stumped over what to get, I’ve got ya covered, but only if you own a cat or dog – sorry bird, turtle, rabbit, etc owners! Here are some great eco-friendly gifts for the very special pet in your life.
- Gift baskets. What’s better than one gift? Many gifts! I’m a fan of gift baskets because I like the assortment, and there are quite a few places where you can order an eco-friendly gift basket for your dog or cat. Petfection.com has a few organic and natural gift baskets to choose from, starting from as little as $11.95 for a dog holiday sampler gift basket that includes paw cream, cologne spray and puppy suds shampoo. Fancy. Green Pet Gifts, LLC also has a variety of green cat and dog gift baskets with goodies for both the pet and its owner, ranging in price from $49.95 to $79.95.
- Pet beds. I don’t know about you, but sleeping in my comfy bed is one of my favorite places to be, and doesn’t your cat or dog deserve the same comfort? Buy them a new bed this holiday season to relax in, and maybe they won’t spend so much time in yours. EarthDog Hemp Dog Beds, which can also be used for a cat, are constructed with a 100% hemp canvas shell and stuffed with a mixture of recycled poly-cotton and scrap foam. Get one on Greenstore.com for $84.00.
- Pet homes. Yes, your home is your pet’s home too, but sometimes they need a little space and quality alone time, so give them the gift of privacy with their very own home inside your home. Eco Concepts Rustic Lodge Dog House (different sizes available) are made from ecoFELX, which is a composite blend of recycled polymers and reclaimed poplar, and you can get one at Home Depot for about $130.00 – $183.00. For the feline in your life, head over to Love Thy Beast for an adorable Energy Pyramid Cat Home that is made from 100% recycled cardboard and printed using soy-based inks. Better yet, it requires no assembly and costs only $32.00.
- Scratching Toys. Imperial Cat makes the cutest “scratch n’ Shapes North Pole Express Train Recycled Paper Scratching Board” that adds some festive décor to your home this holiday season, and saves your furniture from your sweet cat’s vicious claws. It’s a two-tier toy, so there’s even a spot for your cat to nap, and it comes with a pack of organic catnip to sprinkle on. Made from 100% post-consumer recycled paper, you can purchase it on Wayfair.com for $55.99.
- Catnip Toys. You can’t go wrong with the gift of catnip for the feline(s) in your life. Not only will your cat enjoy rolling around with it, but watching he/she do so provides much entertainment for you as well. Paws Pet Boutique offers cute evergreen felt catnip toys for $4.50. They also offer tins of hand-harvest organic catnip for $11.00 that you can sprinkle on your cat’s favorite toys, or, do what I do and create your own toy by filling a sock with catnip, tying it up and watching your cat go crazy.
What will you be getting your furry friend for the holidays?