I am sure many of you keep apple cider vinegar in your kitchen pantry for a variety of different dishes, vinaigrettes, cleaners and so on. But did you know this $3 bottle you get from the supermarket is also a great item for keeping in the bathroom medicine cabinet as an amazing all-natural beauty product, too?
Apple cider vinegar contains malic acid which makes it anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It has potassium, which prevents hair loss, brittle teeth and runny noses; calcium, which is good for strong bones and teeth; pectin, which helps to regulate blood pressure and reduce bad cholesterol; and acetic acid, which slows the digestion of starch, that in turn lowers the rise of glucose after eating.
– Lightens sun and age spots
– Dissolves dead skin cells
– Balances the skin’s PH
– Prevents acne and acne scars
– Helps minimize appearance of pores
– Soothes Sunburns
– Treats warts and nail fungus
1. Mix equal parts vinegar and hand cream to help chapped hands.
2. Make your nail polish last longer by soaking fingertips for 1 minute in 2 teaspoons vinegar and 1/2 cup warm water before applying the polish.
3. For a facial mask that heals and moisturizes, try this concoction from Woman’s Day. Combine 2 Tbsp honey with 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Apply to your clean face and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse with tepid water followed by a cool rinse. This can be done three times a week.
4. For a healthy drink elixir, Dr. Oz suggests to simply mix 1 cup of grapefruit juice with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, stir, and enjoy. Apple Cider Vinegar breaks down fats, speeds up the metabolism, fights fatigue and works as a remedy for heartburn.
5. For overall softer skin, pour apple cider vinegar into your bath water.
6. Store-bought aftershave does four things: it acts as an antiseptic to clean out any cuts; it moisturizes the skin; it closes the pores; and it soothes razor burn. The acetic acid in vinegar is able to perform these same tasks at a fraction of the cost. Fill an empty bottle or container with equal parts apple cider vinegar and water. Shake to blend. Then, splash on your face after shaving just as you would with any other aftershave.
7. For a sublime facial toner, mix 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar with 2 cups water and apply as a finishing toner to cleanse and tighten your skin. This simple concoction can help improve your overall complexion by balancing and restoring your skin’s natural pH. Our skin is naturally acidic but when our levels are in balance our skin will live at the perfect level between oily and dry. Actress Scarlett Johansson even uses it as a cleanser to keep her porcelain complexion camera ready!
8. Skip shampoo and conditioner and opt to wash your hair with apple cider vinegar and baking soda- celebrities and beauty experts swear by it!. Store-bought detergents strip hair of its natural oils, causing your scalp to produce even more oil, until you’re lathering up every day to avoid the dreaded “greaser” look.
9. June is Acne Awareness Month, which might normally prompt us to search for the perfect blemish-busting products. Raw apple cider vinegar concoction known to clear up complexions in a matter of days. Simply dab apple cider vinegar directly on blemishes with a q-tip after face is washed.
10. Add a cup of apple cider vinegar to your bath, and soak for 10 minutes to eliminate discomfort from sunburn.
11. For warts, soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar, then fasten the cotton ball over the wart with a Band-Aid overnight.
What brands to buy: When in doubt in the grocery isles, go for organic store-bought apple cider vinegars like Bragg.
Or you can make it yourself with this DIY recipe from Realfoodrealdeals.com.