PLANT TREES : HOW TO GET INVOLVED
It’s National Arbor Day today and aside from the obvious you may be wondering what exactly does that mean. Well, it means that today is a holiday in which individuals and groups are encouraged to plant and care for trees. Trees give us oxygen and quality of life by cleaning our air, providing a safe haven for our animals and giving us resources to build things. Just as trees work to clean air, trees also aid in providing cleaner drinking water by providing a natural filter for water supplies that originate in mountains and waterways. Trees diminish nuisance algae, filter pollutants, stimulate nutrient cycling and help prevent erosion in a healthy forested watershed. So even if you don’t have a minute to plant a tree today, take a minute to look up and think about all the amazing benefits and life that trees give us. Today is a special day to remember all the different values trees bring us. Here’s how you can take action:
- Celebrate the day by planting a tree today and posting on social media and tagging #NationalArborDay.
- Make it a tradition. You don’t need to plant a tree today instead do it with friends and family every couple of months!
- Don’t have the time to plant? Then donate! Check out the Arbor Day Foundation.
- Help replant trees after a disaster. Every time there is a hurricane, wild fires, and other disasters – trees need our help to recover. Check here for recovery campaigns.
- If you have kids, go to the park today and teach them all about arbor day – is good to start them small!
- Walk in your neighborhood and see what areas need more trees then get your community members to plant more trees this summer.
Leave us a comment below telling us how you honored the special day!