As you may or may not know, September is Skin Care Awareness Month so we wanted to take a moment to review some of the biggest skin care do’s and don’ts. Skin is the body’s largest organ so it’s important that we take good care of it and protect it. Here are a few basic tips that we can all benefit from, no matter what our age or skin type:
- Wear sunscreen every single day. Exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays all year round – even when it’s cloudy or during the winter months – can cause wrinkles, dark spots and worst of all skin cancer. Incorporate a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15, apply daily in the morning before you head out the door and reapply regularly.
- Be gentle with your skin. Whether you have oily, dry or mixed skin, you should always use a mild cleanser that won’t strip your skin of it’s natural oils. Over washing your skin with harsh cleansers may do more harm than good.
- Always remove makeup before bed. Listen up ladies! Leaving makeup on overnight can lead to bacteria build up, which can cause breakouts. Make it a habit to wash your face every night before you go to bed, no matter how tired you are, so you wakeup with clear beautiful skin and not a nasty breakout. Also don’t forget to wash your makeup brushes regularly – there is bacteria hiding in your brushes too!
- Keep skin moisturized: The best way to prevent skin from drying out is to keep skin moisturized by using lotion regularly. Choose a non-comedogenic moisturizer that won’t clog pores. It’s also important to drink plenty of water, which will help prevent dehydration and dry skin.
- A healthy lifestyle translates to healthy skin. A healthy diet, plenty of rest and stress management can all go a long way for your overall health – including your skin! Make sure your diet is filled with fruits and vegetables and is low on unhealthy fats and processed foods. And of course be sure to get plenty of rest and find time to relax and de-stress, your skin will thank you for it!
When it comes to choosing skin care products, we all have our favorites and old stand-byes but if you can, try to use natural skin care products. Skincare that isn’t natural is exposing the skin–and the entire body–to harsh chemicals that add to the body burden, ultimately over-stressing the skin and potentially doing more harm than good. Here are a few of our favorite natural skin care products that we love here at eco18:
Shea Terra Organics Moroccan Lava & Camel’s Milk Softening Nomad’s Secret Facial Masque
Camel’s milk? Yes you heard right! This masque from Shea Terra Organics features beneficial ingredients from Africa including camel’s milk and Moroccan Lava Clay to leave skin incredibly soft after just one use.
The Honest Company Healing Balm
This healing balm from Jessica Alba’s The Honest Company does double duty for diaper rash and every day skin irritations like eczema, minor cuts and scrapes. Organic sunflower, olive and tamanu oils, Shea butter, chamomile, calendula, lavender and castor oil all work together to help nourish, moisturize and soothe skin.
DeVita Natural Skin Care Chamomile Cleansing Crème
This waterless cleanser from DeVita Skin Care is ultra gentle so it’s perfect for people with all different skin types to use! It features DeVita Natural’s proprietary blend of pure plant extracts like Certified Organic Aloe Vera, chamomile and calendula to cleanse skin without stripping it of it’s natural oils.
Yes To Cucumbers On-The-Go Facial Towelettes
These all-natural and hypoallergenic travel-sized Towelettes make it easy and convenient to keep your face clean on the go and are perfect for your gym bag! They keep your face clean and hydrated by incorporating ingredients like cucumbers, green tea and aloe.
Herbacin Kamille Hand Cream
This classic hand cream from the family owned and operated German beauty company has become a staple for soft and smooth hands over the past 100+ years. This hand cream incorporates the natural healing properties of chamomile extract, natural glycerine and natural silicone to help soothe, moisturize and protect skin like an invisible glove.
In the spirit of full disclosure some brands mentioned in this article were, are or could be in the future, client’s of our parent company, the leading healthy lifestyle agency, ADinfinitum, Inc.