Many of us are looking for new ways to save the world. We do this by saving energy, producing less waste and reusing everyday products. Innovators around the world have developed solutions to help us with these goals, but some are a little further “out there” than others. Below are five of the most interesting, unique and, yes, just plain weird eco-friendly products out there.
1. Cigarette Butt Clothing – Yes, this is a real product. The designs actually look pretty nice and it would be very hard to tell the fabric was at one time lit on fire and stomped out by a shoe. One question: Is it possible to get second hand smoke from your jacket?
2. Pet Fur Clothing – Most fans of a natural lifestyle are against using fur coats, but there seems to be a market, albeit small, for people who would like to reuse their pets’ hair clippings for coats, bags, hats and more. Next time you’re at the groomer, look around and decide for yourself if you’d like a coat made of fur.
3. Edible Shoe Cream – I’m all for having multiple uses for the same product, but this may be taking it a bit too far. This shoe cream can be used as a lip balm, skin moisturizer, hair conditioner, massage oil, cooking oil and for spreading on your morning bagel. Doesn’t sound very appetizing to me, but maybe some of you will appreciate the multi-facets of the product.
4. Moss bathmats – While this may be an extreme form of eco decorating, walking on a carpet full of moss doesn’t sound unpleasant. I’m just not sure I would do it right after washing my feet off in the shower.
5. Eco Brolly – This environmentally friendly umbrella turns anything from newspapers to plastic bags into an umbrella. Not a bad idea, except it still becomes waste after being soaked outside and is clearly for short distances and light rains.
What are some unusual green products you’ve come across? Would you use them or not? Share your comments below; we’d love to hear from you.