Summer is the season to celebrate the oceans’ beauty and bounty. This summer, do more than just celebrate. Be an ocean hero. It’s a really easy thing to do. All you have to do is just pledge to recycle, clean up or eat sustainable seafood this summer—you can link here to sign up.
Spreading the word is an great and easy way to kick off your summer of ocean love and Oceana make it even easier with their 3 easy tips:
- Reuse First. Reusing items makes sense for your pocket book and the planet. Even electronics can be reused – check out Gazelle.com. They accept 22 categories of electronics and will provide free shipping if the value is at least $1.
- Smart Recycling. Not all recyclables are created equal, so remember.
- Aluminum is infinitely recyclable.
- Waste can contain hazardous components, so be sure to dispose of it appropriately, check out Gazelle.com for more info.
- Avoid using plastic – but if you do, know your codes. Symbol codes 1, 2, and 6 are the most widely accepted for recycling; 3, 4, 5, and 7 are rarely accepted.
- Brag A Bit! Show off all the great ways you’re reusing and recycling this summer by taking pictures of your work on your smart phone and posting them to Instagram. Make sure to tag your photos #oceans and check www.oceana.org/heroes throughout the summer to see what other ocean heroes are up to this summer. Don’t have an smart phone? No worries – post on the Oceana Facebook wall or send a Tweet!
Oceana is the largest international organization devoted to protecting the world’s oceans. Join them this summer in celebrating and defending our water planet!