January 18 Questions: Keri Glassman
Each month we will ask a new eco-maven 18 questions about his or her life, occupation and advice for other like-minded people. This month we were able to sit down with Keri Glassman, RD, founder of Nutritious Life and author, including her recently release, The New You and Improved Diet: 8 Rules to Lose Weight and Change Your Life Forever.
1. What is your name (and age)?
Keri Glassman, 40
2. What is your occupation?
Registered Dietitian, Author, Media Personality, Mom, Entrepreneur
3. Do you have a “green” memory growing up?
No! Unfortunately, I don’t think I grew up with much green influence!! Sorry mom!
4. What’s your favorite meal?
I have so many favorite foods! This question is always so hard to answer. It is January so right now I have been craving soup. At the moment my fave is a hearty vegetarian chili with roasted veggies on the side such as brussel sprouts or perhaps something crunchy like kale chips.
5. Who/What inspires you to be more “green” in your life?
My children 100%!!
6. Where on the “green scale” do you fall?
I don’t know what scale we are using here, but I would say, I do “ok” but always looking to be MORE green!! In other words, above average but striving to be better!
7. What are the most rewarding and most challenging parts of your job?
The most rewarding is definitely without question when I hear someone say that they have a whole new relationship with food. The weight loss, health and happiness always follows that!
The most challenging part is probably balancing all the different components of my job, being in the moment for each thing I am doing and being able to switch gears fast.
8. Where’s your “greenspot”: food, bodycare/beauty, oceans, home or neighborhood, explain
I am a dietitian! Food and bodycare.
9. Where do you turn for your news?
Oh, it is a mixed bag! The WSJ but I also read The NY Post and sometimes the NY Times and I go online to everything from CNN.com to LA Times and sometimes I will “indulge” in things like PerezHilton! I also of course check out all the health and food sites as much as possible. I try to read or at least scan the headlines for 45 minutes in the early am and then whatever else I can get to each day.
10. What is one environmental change you vow to make in the next year?
Last year my office cut back on the amount of paper we used. This year I want to reduce again by 50%!
11. If you could trade places with one person from any time in history (past or present) for one day—who would it be and why?
That’s a toss up and depends upon the day you catch me on… Samantha from Bewitched for her magical powers, Eleanor Roosevelt for her strength or Lucille Ball for her ability to laugh!
12. You have a meeting with the leader of every country in the world. You have 30 seconds to tell them anything you want. Go!
30 secs? I am RD! Play nice in the playground or Hello! Anybody want some almonds? I brought extras!
13. You have the chance to send one tweet to all the tweeps in the world. Let’s hear it in 140 characters, or less!
“Life itself is the perfect indulgence” – Julia Child. I always loved this quote!
14. If there was one industry/product that you could make more eco-friendly, what would it be?
Kids toys industry! One little toy has way too much packaging! Same goes for packaged foods…which there are way too many of anyway…
15. Where in the world would you most like to be right now?
Exactly where I am.
16. What is the best book you have read recently?
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets…I read it alongside my 9 year old son
17. What makes you cringe?
Fluorescent orange food.
18. What do you want your legacy to be?
I truly helped people change their relationship with food and improved the quality of their life making them healthier and happier…