You cannot hear this enough: Take care of your skin or it will come back to haunt you.
How often do you hear men brag about their carefree regimen? How they wash their hair, body AND face with the same product? Even worse, with bar soap? While many people may get by doing this in their 20’s, treating your skin with such abandon is bound to catch up with you.
There are whole magazines devoted solely to beauty and cosmetics, though in most cases there is no mention of men’s skincare. While the male skincare section of most stores is growing, much of this growth is still an expansion of shaving cream and razor selection. So, to help you on your journey to a clean, smooth face, eco18 breaks down men’s skincare – the natural way.
First off, it’s important to realize that men’s skin is different than women’s. Compared to a woman, a man’s face is generally:
- Oilier – yet has smaller pores
- More agitated – due to shaving and more exposure to the elements
With these factors in mind, let’s move on to what every man should be doing and avoiding to make sure he is looking his best.
- Ditch the bar soap
- Avoid any products with alcohol
- Beware of chemicals – If most of the ingredients are over 25 characters long, don’t put it on your face
- Drink lots of water – dehydration is obvious on your face
- Use a toner – keeps those pores clean and small
- Apply sunscreen, at least to your face – we cannot emphasize this one enough
- Pick up some eye cream – yes, it costs more than other lotions, but 40-year-old you will thank you later
- Take your time when shaving – unless you want ingrown hairs, which may end up becoming scars
- Wash your face at night – sleeping with a face full of grime is a great way to clog your pores
- Exfoliate – sometimes washing your face isn’t enough. Scrub your face at least once a week to really deep clean those pores
This may sound like a lot to handle for the guy who uses his girlfriend’s facewash or a bar of soap, we get it. Start out by choosing a quality facewash and using it often, then add additional products over time. Once you develop a routine, it will become second nature. Speaking of routine and nature, we recommend OM4 complete organic skincare for men. The company offers a line of eco-friendly products made specifically for your skin type – normal, oily, sensitive or dry.
Eco18’s Top Five Skincare Brands for Men: