10 Secret Smoothie Ingredients!
Smoothies are a quick, easy and delicious way to give your body the nutrients that it needs to get through the day. Whether you like blending up a healthy breakfast smoothie or a post-workout snack, we’ve put together 10 secret smoothie ingredients that will instantly boost the taste and nutritional value of your smoothie!
1. Oatmeal – Adding a scoop of oatmeal to your breakfast smoothie will not only add a nutritional kick but it will create a thicker and creamier texture. Oatmeal is a great source of protein and fiber and will help to keep you fuller for longer!
2. Flaxseeds – Adding two tablespoons of ground flaxseeds to your smoothie will add a very slight nutty flavor. Flaxseeds are rich in antioxidants including omega-3 fatty acids and fiber. Omega-3 fatty acids are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and flaxseeds help with digestive issues such as irritable bowel syndrome, by reducing intestinal inflammation.
3. Coconut Water – Coconut water really is everything it’s cracked up to be. It’s low in calories, low in fat and high in important vitamins and minerals like potassium. It also has powerful rehydrating properties. Try substituting the base of your smoothie with natural coconut water!
4. Herbs & Spices – Boost the nutritional content and flavor of your smoothie by adding fresh herbs and spices. Some of our favorites are basil, turmeric, mint, cinnamon and cilantro. You can also use herbs to address particular health problems, for example, ginger is known to aid digestive issues.
5. Avocado – Avocados are high in fats (the healthy kind), and antioxidants and folate, which protects the heart. Along with their nutritional value, their creamy and smooth texture makes for an excellent and delicious ingredient to your green smoothie.
6. Cottage Cheese – Packed with protein, adding cottage cheese to your smoothie will help you to stay fuller for longer. It will also add a creamy texture that you can’t get from regular milk.
7. Hemp Milk – Hemp Milk is a nutritious and delicious alternative to regular cow’s milk. Hemp Milk is made from hemp seeds and is low in saturated fat, and high in calcium and plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, which help to keep cholesterol and blood pressure in check.
8. Raw Almond/Peanut Butter – What better way to add a punch of protein to your smoothie than by adding a spoonful of raw almond or peanut butter? These nutty butters are loaded with proteins, fatty acids and vitamins and minerals.
9. Maca Powder – Maca Powder is grown in the mountains of Peru and is recognized for it’s many health benefits. Adding a scoop of Maca Powder will help to boost energy, balance hormones and lower blood pressure.
10. White Beans – As one of the most nutritious foods out there, these magical beans will add fiber, protein, iron and potassium to your smoothie. They have a subtle taste and will make your smoothie nice and thick!