We all know its tough to get through a busy, festive, holiday season without packing on the extra pounds. There are though, ways that we can cut down on the food intake without missing out on the fun. We wanted to put this out there nice and early this year, because we know the parties are already getting started. Here are a few helpful hints:
- Small plates. There is no need to buy those extra wide disposable plates. Stick with appetizer or dessert sized plates to control portion size.
- Every-Other-Water. Switch out calorie-heavy alcoholic drinks with water. Maybe even try flavored seltzer. Who says water can’t have some fun?
- If you plan on going to a party later in the day, eat a healthy lunch. This way, you won’t arrive too hungry, and you won’t feel too guilty splurging just a bit.
- Don’t stand by the food! Often, beautifully decorated holiday buffets can grab your attention just like a finely appointed Christmas tree. Move the gathering to a different side of the room. Out of sight, out of mind!
- Swap out the sweets. For dessert this year, try a Greek yogurt bar with healthy fixins’, whole wheat flour in the cookies, or even try dark chocolate covered strawberries for a not-too-guilty indulgence.