Each month we ask a new eco-maven 18 questions about his or her life, occupation, and advice for other like-minded people. This month we connected with television personality, jewelry designer, and fashion columnist, Stassi Schroeder. Born in New Orleans, Stassi moved to Hollywood and graduated from Loyola Marymount University with a Bachelor’s Degree in English Writing. She now enjoys her passion for fashion through blogging and designing jewelry for Shop Prima Donna.
1. What is your name?
2. What is your occupation?
Television personality/ jewelry designer for Shopprimadonna.com/fashion blogger
3. Do you have a “green” memory growing up?
Those big, blue recycle bins scattered all across New Orleans!
4. What’s your favorite meal?
A lovely paneed veal with cranberry sauce and cheesy New Orleans style potatoes. Or anything my mom makes. I look for excuses to go home and eat her food.
5. Who/What inspires you to be more “green” in your life?
Honestly, the fact that I will have children of my own one day. I want my family to be as healthy and safe as possible, so naturally I want their environment to reflect that.
6. Where on the “green scale” do you fall?
I’d say about average. My boyfriend is very “green” and conscientious of our environment and doing the right thing. I’m lucky that he has rubbed off on me.
7. What are the most rewarding and most challenging parts of your job?
I love hearing that people felt comforted by my situations on camera because they could relate. If I can make one girl feel like she’s not alone, then I’m happy. But ultimately, being in this industry has taught me to really trust myself. There are always so many people around you trying to tell you what’s best for you, but only you truly know what’s best for you. I feel very fortunate to have learned that lesson. My passion in life is fashion; therefore, blogging and designing jewelry has really made me feel like I’m doing something that feeds my soul.
8. Where’s your “greenspot” food, body care/beauty, oceans, home or neighborhood, explain:
My best friend from home owns a juice bar in New Orleans called Raw Republic and it changed my life. Like my boyfriend, she has really educated me about being eco-friendly, whether it’s with the foods I eat, or the skin care products I use. She’s the queen of green.
9. Where do you turn for your news?
I’m always on my iPhone refreshing my Daily Mail app. It has kind of become a problem.
10. What is one environmental change you vow to make in the next year?
I need to be much more conscientious of turning the lights off at home. It’s a terrible habit.
11. If you could trade places with one person from any time in history (past or present) for one day—who would it be and why?
Anne Boleyn. I have always been completely fascinated with the 16th century, whether it be the architecture, fashion, rules/regulations, way of life, just everything. And Anne Boleyn was always my favorite historical figure. I think that in pop culture she is a little misunderstood. People tend to view her as this manipulative villain, but after reading many biographies I find her to have been an incredibly intelligent and passionate woman who truly loved and adored her husband, only to be betrayed by him and the ones she loved. It has also been said that she had an impeccable sense of style and influenced women’s fashion during that time.
12. You have a meeting with the leader of every country in the world. You have 30 seconds to tell them anything you want. Go!
I think that if we put our own agendas behind us, we could live in a much more peaceful world…. (and then I’d suggest we all do yoga together).
13. You have the chance to send one tweet to all the tweeps in the world. Let’s hear it in 140 characters, or less!
Be yourself, be thankful, be kind… and wear cute shoes.
14. If there was one industry/product that you could make more eco-friendly, what would it be?
Restaurants! It drives me crazy that food is just thrown away at the end of the night.
15. Where in the world would you most like to be right now?
Exploring Europe with my boyfriend, Patrick! Drinking wine, eating cheese, going to museums. Heaven.
16. What is the best book you have read recently?
Joe and Marilyn by C. David Heymann. I love biographies that read like novels.
17. What makes you cringe?
18. What do you want your legacy to be?
I used to desire respect and admiration, but as I’ve grown I’ve slowly realized that I just want to be someone who gives others a lot of love. I hope to one day be a great wife and mother, and I hope that future family will always feel loved and cared for. There is no greater feeling than the feeling of being loved, and I want to give that.