Protecting your hair this summer
Most people see summer as the time for shiny, vibrant, luscious beach waves and that is why your hair is vulnerable to damage this season. Between the Sun, chlorine, or salt water your hair is likely to be dehydrated. This leads to faded color, split ends and a brittle, dry texture.
- Use a hydrating shampoo and conditioner with a soy and corn protein combination. Be sure these products don’t use harsh sulfates, parabens or sodium chlorine, which will weigh down your hair.
- Avoid using too many cosmetics. Too much shampoo can dry up your scalp and hair even more.
- Putting shampoo separately on your hair and hair tips will dry them out. You want to be sure to shampoo only on the scalp, and as you wash your hair, the suds will rinse down, cleaning up your hair too.
- Don’t shampoo before you go for a swim, as this will deplete your hair of its protective oils and make it vulnerable to the chemicals and salt in the water. Opt for a shampoo containing ethylene tetra-acetic acid, which will remove harmful effects of chlorine.
Brush carefully when your hair is wet. Since this is when your hair is most fragile, don’t rip a brush through it after swimming. Spray some detangling spray on it, and then use a wide-tooth comb to minimize breakage.
Hair Products with SPF will protect your scalp and minimize damage to your hair while in the sun. SPF infused hair masks and leave in conditioners are great options, as well as sporting a cute hat.
Your hair, as well as your skin, will reap immense benefits from hydrating well with water and other cool, refreshing fluids. Also be sure to include as many fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet as you can.
Too Hot to Handle
Avoid using additional heat on your hair. As this would be the case in any season, the sun is already putting too much heat on your hair. Embrace your hair in its natural state! Or, you can try a classic, no-heat hairstyle.
Use this home made mask to beat summer frizz!
– ½ cup plain yogurt
– ½ cup honey
– 1 tbsp. almond oil
1. Mix all ingredients together until blended. Ideally, you should apply this mask to damp hair for easier application and best results.
2. Feel free to put your hair up as you let the mask sit for 20 minutes.
3. Hop in the shower and shampoo as normal.