Kale-Off: Battle of the Best Brands
If you have tried kale chips, you’ve realized that they are delicious, addictive and really quite healthy. Thin and glazed with delicious seasonings, they are not only snack worthy, but loaded for good-for-you ingredients.
Why kale? Kale is one of the most nutrient-dense super foods you can eat. These leafy greens that is rich in folate, calcium, and iron. It is low in calories. It fights fat. It is very high in fiber. It is anti-inflammatory. It is high in Vitamin K, Vitamin A, and Vitamin C. It’s also known to battle against cancer, heart disease, and other diseases.
Raw kale chips are perfect for gluten-free, vegan, organic snacking, and serve as a healthy alternative to nutritionally lacking baked or fried snacks such as potato chips.
But, while kale is highly nutritious, these super food snacks tend to be on the expensive side! So, if you’re looking to splurge, might as well know which ones will give you the most bang for your buck. Here are five brands we’re snaking on now:
1. New York Naturals Kale Chips: Kale chips on their own can lack in luster and flavor, but given the right ingredients they are some the tastiest snacks you’ll ever try. Unlike other kale chip brands NY Naturals have the kale chips with the best sweet flavors. Spirulina Crunch, Coconut Cacao and Cranberry Nut Crunch are amongst my favorites. http://nynaturals.myshopify.com
2. Brad’s Raw Foods: For those following a raw food diet, these snacks are the perfect substitute for those miss the crunch of a good snack. Brad’s Raw Chips are dehydrated under 115 degrees Fahrenheit to preserve all nutrients that keep you energized. Some of my favorite flavors are Pina Kale-ada, Vampire Killer and Natural Nacho. They even have veggie treats for your pup! www.bradsrawchips.com/
3. Lydia’s Organics: Based in the San Francisco Bay area, Lydia’s Organics are made with all raw, living, organic vegan ingredients. Their Kale chip flavors are available in three delicious flavors, including Mega Green, Sassy Spice and Herbs de Provence. And to top it off, Lydia’s Organics also create deliciously nutritious raw bars made with raw and unprocessed ingredients. What we love? Even their packaging is eco-friendly! http://www.lydiasorganics.com
4. Rhythm Superfoods Kale Chips: Here’s another delicious and nutrient-rich alternative to the standard chip. This company, based in Austin, Texas, serves up bold flavors, including Kool Ranch, Bombay Curry, Zesty Nacho, Texas BBQ & Mango Habanero. Rhythm’s hand-crafted dressings made from a blend of fresh organic vegetables, seeds, juices, herbs & spices. http://rhythmsuperfoods.com/kale-chips
5. Pacific Northwest Kale Chips: Pacific Northwest Kale Chips is a small-batch chipmaker based in Portland, Oregon. Available in Cascade Ranch, Cheezy Crunch, Glacier Peak Greens and Stumptown Original, Pacific Northwest Kale Chip company utilizes fresh, organic and local ingredients. http://www.pacifickale.com