With all the chaos in politics, this year’s midterm elections are more important than ever. During the 2016 election millennials did not believe their votes mattered but this year that is not the case. We have rounded up 8 reasons why we need young voters to show up to the polls.
- Young voters account for half of the voting population – making millennials the most powerful political force. In the 2016 election young voter participation was down 2% from a high of 52% during the 2008 election.
- Statistics have shown that although there are more millennials, the older generation is more likely to vote.
- Millennials were impacted the most by the great recession. Although millennials have shown success with jobs over the past few years, college debt and healthcare are extremely important topics in the upcoming election.
- Young voters are an incredibly diverse group.
- Millennials need to start making politics an important part of their lives.
- It is easier than ever to be an educated voter. In today’s tech minded world there is no excuse to not vote because you do not know enough about the candidates.
- The youth vote has the power to sway the election.
- If you do not think you care now, you will in four years. Although many of the topics up for debate may seem irrelevant to your lives, sooner or later they will pertain to you.
The first step to getting involved is to check your voter status; research how to register and/or order an absentee ballot.
Here are the links to get you on your way!