The word agape in Greek, tzedakah in Hebrew, caridad in Spanish or charity as it is called in English are important in any language.
During this season eco18.com wants to share some of our favorite organizations, which share with others. There are so many organizations, foundations and other worthwhile organizations, we can’t list them all–but it’s a start. If you want to begin your own list, log onto Charity Navigator. It is a great online tool which profiles a multitude of nonprofits to explore this holiday season, or any other time of year for that matter.
Donating time, money, in-kind donations or professional expertise are ways in which we can help.
Please let us know your favorite. We would love to include your pick on our list.
1. ASPCA– The ASPCA works to rescue animals from abuse, pass humane laws and share resources with shelters nationwide.
2. Best Friends Animal Society — Best Friends Animal Society runs the nation’s largest sanctuary for abused and abandoned animals.
3. Broadway House — Broadway House for Continuing Care is New Jersey’s only specialized residential health care facility that cares for people living with HIV/AIDS.
4. Children’s Aid Society –Provides adoption, foster care, health, and education services to underserved children and families in New York City.
5. City Harvest — City Harvest helps feed over 300,000 people each week.
6. Doctor’s Without Borders — Doctors and nurses volunteer to provide urgent medical care in countries to victims of war and disaster regardless of race, religion or politics.
7. Dress for Success — Provides interview suits, confidence boosts, and career development to low-income women in over 75 cities worldwide.
8. Heifer International — Heifer International is a global nonprofit with the goal of ending poverty and hunger in a sustainable fashion by giving an animal to support a family.
9. Krochet Kids — Krochet Kids International is an organization that empowers people to rise above poverty. Buy a hat. Change a life.
10. Leukemia & Lymphoma Society — Helping patients with blood cancers live better, longer lives.
11. Make-a-Wish Foundation — Dedicated to granting wishes to seriously ill children.
12. New York Restoration Project — Works to create and restore parks and community gardens.
13. The Ocean Foundation — A community foundation with a mission to support, strengthen, and promote organizations dedicated to reversing the trend of destruction of ocean environments around the world.
14. Rainforest Alliance — An international nonprofit organization dedicated to the conservation of tropical forests.
15. Smile Train — Our mission is to provide a child born with a cleft the same opportunities in life as child born without.
16. Soles4Souls — Soles4Souls shoe charity donates shoes to adults and children in need.
17. St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital — St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is internationally recognized for its pioneering work in finding cures and saving children with pediatric cancers and other catastrophic diseases.
18, Young Survival Coalition — Organization oriented to support and educate about breast cancer in younger women.