Each month we will ask a new eco-maven 18 questions about his or her life, occupation and advice for other like-minded people. This month we were able to sit down with Lauren Conrad, the fashion designer and best-selling author who launched her career on MTV shows Laguna Beach and The Hills. She most recently launched an eco-friendly accessories line, XO(eco), collaborating with BlueAvocado.
1. What is your name (and age)?
Lauren Conrad, age 26
2. What is your occupation?
Designer and author
3. Do you have a “green” memory growing up?
The first memory I have was always making sure we turned off the lights and recycled bottles and cans
4. What’s your favorite meal?
If I had to splurge it would be pizza.
5. Who/What inspires you to be more “green” in your life?
Knowing that we can all do little everyday things to make the planet we live on a better place inspires me to live more green
6. Where on the “green scale” do you fall?
I would say I am a 7 or 8 but I am working to increase that every day.
7. What are the most rewarding and most challenging parts of your job?
The most rewarding would be hearing from women and girls that something I made, or wrote or did inspired them or made them feel good about themselves. The most challenging would be any sort of deadline. Be it for one of my lines or books.
8. Where’s your “greenspot”: food, bodycare/beauty, oceans, home or neighborhood, explain:
Oceans for sure. I grew up in Southern California and the Ocean was our backyard and playground. You could always tell a local beach from one that was public as we would never dream of leaving any trash or waste there. We were so proud of our beaches and we took care of them as they took care of us. For me it’s about cleaning up the oceans and beaches so that the gyres don’t get bigger and the waters stay clean.
9. Where do you turn for your news?
I would say the internet.
10. What is one environmental change you vow to make in the next year?
There is a lot I do daily from driving a hybrid, to recycling to using recyclable bags when I shop to making products like my xo(eco) collection that actually up cycles plastic bottles into the fabric. I guess my change this year will to try and create more sustainable lifestyle products for people to enjoy and find more uses for the amazing Repreve fabric we use in the xo(eco) collection.
11. If you could trade places with one person from any time in history (past or present) for one day—who would it be and why?
Someone from the 1920’s or the 1960’s. Not sure who but I love the style from those time periods.
12. You have a meeting with the leader of every country in the world. You have 30 seconds to tell them anything you want. Go!
That’s tough. I wouldn’t tell them anything but perhaps just remind them that their actions and words serve as role models for young people so think before you act or speak.
13. You have the chance to send one tweet to all the tweeps in the world. Let’s hear it in 140 characters, or less!
Stay true to who you know you are.
14. If there was one industry/product that you could make more eco-friendly, what would it be?
I think that with research people are already doing this from fashion to electronics to automotives.
15. Where in the world would you most like to be right now?
Somewhere on the beach.
16. What is the best book you have read recently?
Sadly I have been so busy writing my books I haven’t had time to read any. I hope to change that this summer, as reading is one of my favorite past times.
17. What makes you cringe?
18. What do you want your legacy to be?
That I worked hard, followed my dreams, was kind to others and did good for the environment