For many, the start of a new year resembles a new beginning and can be a time of reflection. What can you do this year to make a difference in the world? Here are a few environmentally friendly resolutions for you to embrace in 2019!
Buy and use reusable bags
- Plastic bags are costly and bad for the environment! Although plastic does break down, it breaks down very slowly in a landfill. Some pieces of plastic are not biodegradable. Reusable bags are inexpensive and great to use because they help protect our Earth and can even be designed to be fashionable!
Be considerate of the products you buy or use
- Whether it be cleaning supplies or cosmetics, consider what chemicals you are bringing into your life and how it may hurt the environment. For example, face wash brands sometimes have plastic micro beads that are non-biodegradable.
Change Your Diet
- This doesn’t mean you have to become full-on vegetarian. Livestock is estimated to contribute to 14.5 percent of human-caused greenhouse gas emissions. If you even eat meatless for one day a week, you can do your part to reduce harmful emissions in our environment.
Consider other ways to reduce your emissions
- How do you travel? Start driving less and walking or biking more often. Public transportation is also eco-friendly way to get where you need to go. Cars and trucks account for more than 30 percent of emissions in the United States!
Use Less Water
- Reducing water usage cuts down on energy use as well, because less water needs to be transported, which also cuts down on pollution.
Invest in a reusable water bottle
- In purchasing a reusable water bottle, you are cutting down on emissions used to create a plastic bottle. Also, plastic waste can take 450 years or more to decompose!
- If you don’t already, recycle your trash! As recycling continues to grow in popularity, local authorities are making it even easier to recycle, in many cities you don’t even have to sort your trash.