Tasty Tuesday’s: Our Favorite Potato Chips
When it comes to snacking, there’s no option quite like a big bowl of potato chips. Salty, crunchy and satisfying, chips are usually a total indulgence food that are hard to quit. Unfortunately, most store-bought chips are not healthy in the slightest, and are filled with oil and fat, low in nutrition, and known for increasing weight gain and raising blood pressure and cholesterol. While all of this may sound like a big bummer for us potato chip lovers, we are in a new age of healthy eating and are lucky to have a number of alternatives to classic potato chips that will satisfy in the same way, without compromising our health. To find out what “chip” brands we like the best (for our taste buds and our health!) keep on reading.
- Forager Project: While Forager Project is most known for their dairy free yogurt and milk, they have quite the snack section as well. The Forager Project Organic Vegetable Chips are totally addictive in the best way possible Harvesting the whole vegetable to ensure their chips are as nutritious as possible, the Forager Organic Vegetable Chips are organic, non-GMO, gluten free, corn free, kosher, vegan and have NO trans fat! Even though these are made out of veggies, they taste totally indulgent and are perfect for a lazy day in. Our favorite flavor is the “Cheezy Greens,” but their other flavors include roots, beets, chipotle bbq, plain, and wasabi greens. Delish!
- Harvest Snaps: OK, green peas aren’t exactly the same as potatoes but trust us when we say that Harvest Snaps will curb your potato chip cravings for good. With an array of Green Pea Crisps, Red Lentil Crisps, and Black Bean Crisps, these baked goodies are filled with fiber, protein and vitamin B, are gluten-free and have WAY less fat and sodium than the traditional potato chip.
- Hippeas: Like the Harvest Snaps, Hippeas stray a little ways away from traditional potato chips, but they are so worth it. Organic chickpea puffs, Hippeas are changing snacking one puff at a time. Offered in six flavors—Far Out Fajita, Vegan White Cheddar, Maple Haze, Pepper Power, Sriracha Sunshine and Happenin’ Hickory—Hippeas has something for everyone. At only 130 calories per serving, with 3 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein, these won’t weigh you down like traditional potato chips, but will definitely leave you craving more!
- Jackson’s Honest: Jackson’s Honest is a brand that focuses its efforts on providing the absolute best ingredients possible to its consumers. This means coconut oil over canola oil; maple sugar over corn syrup; butter rather than margarine. All potatoes used are non-GMO, and all corn is organic. With everything from grain free puffs to potato chips to tortilla chips, Jackson’s Honest offers you the healthiest and most delicious options out there.
- Pop Chips: One of the more mainstream health chips out there, Pop Chips are loved for a reason—they have no added preservatives, no artificial flavors, they are gluten-free, vegan, kosher, no cholesterol and have zero grams of trans fat. Um, does it get better than that? Nope! Not to mention they are incredibly delicious and have a slew of fun flavors. A few options are buffalo ranch, sweet potato, salt and vinegar, cheddar and sour cream and salt and pepper! These are perfect for anyone who doesn’t want to stray too far away from a classic chip.