How to Make the Most of Charitable Giving During the Holiday Season
We all know that giving back all year round is important but most of us wait until the holiday season to give to the less fortunate. December naturally warms our heart and makes us more inclined to spread love and kindness. We want to share a few valuable tips that will guide and help you make the most of your donation this holiday season:
- DO YOUR RESEARCH
- It’s easy to get all excited about the causes we support and forget to do a thorough research on them. Before you take your wallets out, check if the charity you want to donate to is legitimate and worth donating to. Sites like Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance, Charity Navigator or Give Well, do all the digging for you and give you names of charities with the best practices.
- MONEY IS NOT ALWAYS THE ANSWER
- If you want to give back but are financially not able to then volunteering is still a great option. Some non-profit organizations also appreciate a helping hand during the holiday season. You can visit a senior citizen home or make a meal for someone with an illness.
- AVOID DOOR TO DOOR SOLICITORS
- If people come knocking on your door or call you, don’t give them any money until you can verify that they’re a real charity. Unfortunately, some people will take advantage during this time of year to steal. So when they ask, politely decline and say you will mail in the donation.
- BUY GIFTS THAT GIVE BACK
- Why not help two people with one deed? You are already buying gifts for friends and family so why not buy a gift that also gives back! Brands like Feed, Trilogy Skin Care, One Hope Wine and Hand in Hand Soap all give back to really amazing causes.
- CHECK IF YOUR EMPLOYER MATCHES YOUR DONATION
- It’s worth checking to see if your employer is participating in any charitable giving because they may be able to double your donation and impact.