Healthy Resolutions for the New Year
A new year, a new you! With 2017 behind us and 2018 just beginning, let us view this fresh start as a reminder that personal health and happiness is something we can all strive to work on and improve. So start the new year off right by setting positive goals for yourself that will ensure you become the best version of yourself. Here are a few goals we at eco18 hope to achieve in terms of our health and happiness in the new year:
1. Get in Daily Exercise: Yes, we know. This is the most cliché resolution out there. But trust us, it’s as popular as it is for a reason. And before you get scared or overwhelmed by the idea of it, we aren’t suggesting you run a marathon every day. Instead, just get your body moving in one way or another. From something as simple as taking a quick walk around the block at the end of the day, to something more extreme like switching your commute from a subway ride to a long walk or bike ride, getting in some form of daily exercise is hugely beneficial to your physical and mental health. Known to produce serotonin in the brain, exercise is proven to not only boost your mood, but boost your confidence as well. So get out there and get moving!
2. Eat More Whole Foods: With grocery stores riddled with packaged foods that are cheap and convenient, it can be hard to motivate yourself to put together a full and healthy meal for yourself. But eating whole foods over packaged and processed snacks has a huge impact on your health. The Whole Food diet was a huge trend in 2017 and we see it continuing into the new year. We aren’t saying you have to strictly stick to this method of eating, but maybe try something along the lines of a “weekday whole food diet” while still allowing yourself a treat or two over the weekends. By choosing whole foods, you will be drastically increasing your vitamin and mineral intake and reducing chemical intake. This is great for digestion, energy levels, skin and beauty and so much more.
3. Track Your Daily Habits: Though this may sound tedious, tracking your daily habits and activities is a great way to look review your lifestyle and point out where you excel and where you need your work. We recommend getting a lifestyle planner and tracking your workouts, supplement intake, alcohol intake, as well as scheduling time at the end of the day for relaxation. By writing down your day-to-day activities, you will be able to schedule and plan so that you are stress-free for the week, as well as visually see the positive changes you are making in your life.
4. Schedule You-Time: There are few things as important to a healthy life as a healthy mind. I think it’s safe to say that 2017 was an overwhelming year that possibly caused quite a bit of stress in your life. One of the most important things you can do is to simply unwind and relax. We understand that life is overwhelming and it may seem like there isn’t enough time in the day to get everything done AND relax, but believe us when we say that finding that balance is absolutely essential. That’s why a daily planner (as stated above) can be so useful—by planning out your week in advance you will be far better at managing time and knowing exactly when you can take time to yourself to unwind.
5. Take Care of Your Gut: Another huge trend in 2017 was gut health. And it is JUST as important in 2018. Most people don’t realize, but your GI system plays a huge part in every area of health—from digestion to your immune system to even your skin health! By ingesting foods with healthy bacteria cultures you are ridding your body of toxins and replacing them with powerful protection. Foods like cultured yogurt, kombucha, and just plain ol’ probiotic supplements will improve your health in countless ways.